Thursday, September 09, 2010

Banding Report

I mentioned how I called the banding office after trapping that bird with a band last Saturday and was told I had an incomplete band number. Well I spoke with the individual in charge of making those reports and after a bit of discussion and some pure luck (the picture I took of the band on the leg is at the perfect angle to see the second to last number, and apparently if you know what the bands look like you can kinda guess what the last number is), we got the complete number and some info on the bird.

Got this via email today, kinda cool:


5 years for a kestrel ain't too shabby! Fun to have a bit of history on a bird you randomly pluck from the sky.

1 comment:

Mom N said...

loved hearing (reading) this story--thanks for filling us in! Who bands the birds? Why?